Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 135 Short Story #3


*This is a short and fun one by Grace



Baby Spoon

Look at where we are.

            The whole family together. You and me and Joshua and the new baby. I just picked Joshua up from preschool and drove him to the hospital so he could see his new sister.
            While in the hospital elevator, he asked, “Is Baby Spoon gonna eat her way out of Mommy’s tummy?” I chuckled. (Once we found out you were pregnant, 3-year-old Joshua decided it would be a girl and her name would be Spoon. When we found out it was a girl, Joshua just shrugged and said, “I wouldn’t lie to you.”)
            “Ask me about that in ten years or so.” I replied to his question, without looking at him.
            When we knocked on your hospital door, we heard your weak voice barely whisper a “come in.” Joshua ran up to you immediately and looked the baby right in the eyes. He bent down and whispered in his sister’s tiny ear, “Okay, Baby Spoon, I know you’re slimy and wrinkly and scaly, but I’ve decided to keep you anyways... once I ask Mommy.” He looks up. “Mommy?”
            “Yes?” You say with a wide grin on your face.
            “Can we keep Baby Spoon?” I promise to feed her and play with her and let her outside when she needs to go potty.”
            You kiss the baby, then Joshua, and agree, as long as he feeds her and plays with her and lets her outside when she needs to go potty.
            Then you beckon me closer and you kiss me on my nose. Look at this family we bulit together, your eyes whisper.
            I look at where we are.
            And I’m pretty impressed.

            The baby’s birth certificate was somewhat of a surprise to the rest of our extended families. She was 9 lbs. and 7 oz. 18” long, and chubby. She has green eyes and blonde hair, just like you. But the biggest surprise of all was the name. We were pretty sure about the first name: Lily. But after some consideration, we let Joshua name the rest.


Lily Spoon Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment