Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 133 Short Story #1

I HAVEN'T POSTED IN LITERALLY FOREVER. FOREVER IS ABOUT 2 1/2 WEEKS LONG.

So, this is late. The week of April 8th, 2013 was extremely busy for me as I had a lot of crap to study for. I had a lot of crap to memorize. I had a lot of project-related crap to do. It was all a lot of crap (This is me exercising my exemplary writing capabilities: take note, using the word crap repetitively is highly recommended).

Instead, for every day of this week I will post a short story written by me or Grace. They are part of a series of short stories we've been writing since last May (or maybe it was April). The collection is entitled, "Look At Where We Are" and we're really proud of them. In total, we have written 23 stories as part of the series. None of the stories are very well edited though, and most, if not all, are a little rough around the edges. Like, really rough around the edges. Nevertheless, I'm posting them.

This story is the first story that was written out of the series. It's by Grace, and last year we began sending each other some of our stories, and I really loved this one. After reading it like a thousand times, I came up with the idea to run with the "Look at where we are" premises. The ones that I am posting are my personal favorites.



Like a Snowfall in July
     Look at where we are. 
     We're sitting in an old, rusty pick-up. Oh, yes, and it broke down in the middle of Nowhereville, Nebraska on the side of the road. I've kicked off my sneakers, and now my feet are propped up on the headboard, warming up from the sunshine. You are outside, tampering with the cables and pipes within the open hood. Your sleeves are rolled up, and you have a few tools in your right hand. The radio is playing your favorite song, so I turn it up all the way. I see your lips barely move to form the lyrics. I smile. This is nice, I think. 
     Who would've known?
     Twenty years ago, our mothers both announced they were pregnant- on the same day. Fifteen years ago, I forced you to come to my tea party, but I know you wanted to come anyway. Ten years ago, I dared you to kiss me, and you would just scrunch up your face and run away. Five years ago, you took me to the high school graduation dance. Two years ago, you told me you loved me, and kissed me for the first time. Last week, we began our adventure of driving from Washington to Chicago to see your favorite baseball team (even though you knew they would lose).
     Can't you see? I know you like a bird knows the sky. I know who you are, and more importantly, what you could be. I see you every morning from the moment I wake up until my eyes close at the end of the day. You are my sunshine. I fall for you like a snowfall in July- so sudden, so unexpected, yet so perfectly amazing.
     I hear you call my name and I snap back into reality. I shove my feet back inside my sneakers and plant them on the hot gravel. Yes? I respond. You tell me to come. I step around the truck and into your view. I shield my eyes from the blazing sun and find you on the ground. You're kneeling on one knee, and holding something out to me. I step closer. I gasp and a tear falls from my eye. Of course...I-I love you, I shake my head. You find my hand and slip the ring on my finger. I find your strong arms and bury my face into your chest. I love you. I love you. I love you. 
     I knew it. I just knew it.
     You made me a victim of your beautiful love. And I'm still falling for you like a snowfall in July- so sudden, so unexpected, yet so perfectly amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment